Re: Segfault on plot -- insufficient GL support

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Segfault on plot -- insufficient GL support
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:50:50 -0500

On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 08:39 -0800, mpender wrote:
> I started getting a strange error message today when I try to do a simple
> plot in Octave 3.8.0 under Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS:
>
> octave:2> plot (tr)
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Insufficient GL support
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Insufficient GL support
> panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
> save to 'octave-workspace' complete
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

The problem is that your graphics card driver doesn't support OpenGL.
You should either install OpenGL support if it exists, or use gnuplot
instead of the default OpenGL plotter. And Octave should do something
more graceful than crashing if OpenGL isn't available.

Also, this isn't a kernel panic. You didn't crash Linux. You just
crashed Octave.

- Jordi G. H.