Image colors messed up when using saveas

From: egill
Subject: Image colors messed up when using saveas
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:48:38 -0800 (PST)

I am using Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2. I import an image, plot the image, and then
add some text to the plot and attempt to save it. When I do this, the colors
on the saved image are all messed up.
This is what the figure looks like when I'm done with it in Octave:
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662324/Fig.jpg>
This is what the saved image looks like:
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662324/Test1.jpg>

This is the code I ran:
pic = imread('DSC_0039.jpg');                                   % imports
picture
figure; imshow(pic);                                            % plots pic
text(150,1000,'1.0 cm','color','white','fontsize',50);  % adds text to pic
saveas(1,'Test1.jpg')                                           % saves figure

When I run this, Octave gives me the error:
"warning: your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 16 bits per pixel"