Re: Octave 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

From: Markus Bergholz
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 10:01:09 +0100

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Alasdair McAndrew <address@hidden> wrote:
You should just be able to compile the source code yourself, and then you can put the executable in any directory you like, and rename it, say "octave380".  I have octave 3.8.0 running very happily on two ubuntu 12.04 systems (one laptop, one desktop).

I would compile (among other ./configure options) with --prefix=/home/USERNAME/.bin/
make install (as user too!) and add an alias octave38='~/.bin/octave' in the bashrc for you local installation.
That helps to keep your system clean.

greetings,
markus