Re: grayscale image processing

From: Macy
Subject: Re: grayscale image processing
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 09:25:38 -0800

This will get the image into your system:

call it imageread.m

function[r,g,b]=imageread(filename);
% Read in a FULL COLOR .bmp image file and return individual color arrays of
R,G,B
% Use form [r,g,b]=imageread("filename");
% where filename is a string that MUST be complete with .bmp suffix.
% when gray scale; only need single array
%  use form r=imageread("filename");
% NOTE: image is mapped in confusing manner from 'normal' viewing:
% The indices of the array at each extreme refer ...
%  UPPER        Left  r(1,end)          Right  r(end,end)
%  LOWER        Left  r(1,1)            Right  r(end,1)

if ( (nargin==0) || (nargin>1) )
  disp("ERROR  no filename or too many arguments");
  help imageread;
  return;
endif

%myfile=fopen("Test3.bmp","r","ieee-le");
myfile=fopen(filename,"r","ieee-le");
if (myfile == -1)
  disp("ERROR  File does not exist");
  return;
endif
x=fread(myfile);
fclose(myfile);

% Size of image appears in HEADER
WID=x(20)*16*16+x(19);
% width is 'padded' to make multiples of 8
if ( (WID-8*fix(WID/8))~=0 )
  wid=8*ceil(WID/8);
else
  wid=WID;
endif
% len is not padded
len=x(24)*16*16+x(23);

n=wid*len;

% get just the image
x=x(end-3*n+1:end);

% extract the colors
r=x(1:3:end-2);
g=x(2:3:end-1);
b=x(3:3:end);

% since gray scale, select one and reform into image matrix
r=reshape(r,wid,len);
g=reshape(g,wid,len);
b=reshape(b,wid,len);
% remove padded pixels