How to read in Date from Excel file?

From: lisa_octave
Subject: How to read in Date from Excel file?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:15:50 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,
I have a piece of matlab code like
/[num1 txt1]  = xlsread(Filename,SheetNameSwap);
DF = num1(1:12,1);
DFDates = txt1(1:12,1);
DFSerialDate = datenum(DFDates);
/

Actually, DF is supposed to be numbers and DFDates is supposed to be dates
(saved in date/string format).

However I found that in Octave, DF automatically turns into the julian date
of dates in Excel, i.e. a series of numbers like 41627. It looks like Octave
changes date value in Excel into julian date first, then take it as
numerical values..

Also, datenum() function didn't work here.

I've heard that Octave does not accept date formats, but say, I really have
to deal with dates, then what should I do?

Thanks for any response!