Does "remez" work for anyone?

From: briankaz
Subject: Does "remez" work for anyone?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 08:53:37 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

No matter what I do the "remez" function either gives me the "insufficient
extremals--cannot continue" error OR "failed to converge -- returned filter
may be bad" and indeed it is very very bad.
I am using Octave 3.6.4_gcc4.6.2 on a Windows 7 PC.
control-2.6.1
general-1.3.2
signal-1.2.2
specfun-1.1.0

Here is a simple test case (low-pass filter):

N = 32;
f = [0 40/(96*N) 152/(96*N) 1];
a = [1 1 0 0];
w = [1/(1-10^(-0.1/20)) 1/(10^(-120/20))];
b = remez(32*N,f,a,w)
warning: remez: -- failed to converge -- returned filter may be bad.
b =

   3.4963e-313
   3.7812e-313
   3.2352e-313
   3.9098e-313

I didn't print out all the coefficients but suffice it to say that they
range from -8.17e-313 to 6.7045e-313.

Does anyone have any solution for getting remez to work?  It seems I'm not
the only one on this forum to have problems with remez but I haven't seen a
solution.  I'm usually very satisfied with Octave's results but this remez
function is proving to be a huge exception.

Thanks,
-Brian