Re: Unequal results when using element-wise and broadcast power operatio

From: Jose
Subject: Re: Unequal results when using element-wise and broadcast power operations
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 17:28:16 +0200

On 11/23/2013 04:59 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Nov 23, 2013, at 9:43 AM, Jose wrote:

On 11/23/2013 04:22 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

On Sat, 2013-11-23 at 13:57 +0200, Jose wrote:

Regarding the priority of this issue, I would consider giving
it somehow high priority, or at least not a low one. Let me
explain why.

Everyone who runs into a bug thinks their bug is important. We
have had this bug in a long time, and you're the first one to
complain about it.

It's important to you, but not to the vast majority of other
users.

I see and understand your point. But let me correct you in that I
was not complaining, but simply arguing about why I see it as
important. There is a difference, which matters. At least it was
not my intention to make it sound like a complaint.

Prioritizing can be problematic.  Especially when prioritizing the
contributions of volunteers, which is often demotivating for the
volunteer in question.  Before worrying about prioritizing, we need a
volunteer with the needed ability.  I expect only a few of the
regular contributers are able to tackle this.  I also expect they are
focused on the upcoming release, which is being blocked by several
other problems.

I understand this as well. I am a volunteer myself in other things and can feel the meaning of your words often.

The point of my arguing for a higher priority was not to try to put a developer to work on this right now at the expenses of what they are doing, specially now at the doors of the new release. Perhaps I have been misunderstood here. I simply found a bug, and reported it. When I read that it was (probably) going to get a low priority, I guessed that the bug will remain there for long time. Because that bug affects me, I know well at least two ways in which it can affect others, including the development of octave itself (given that tests can be affected). Then I simply explained the reasons why I think it should not get a low priority, just in case the developers have not thought about them.

So my arguing was more kind of adding more information to a bug report rather than "demanding" attention for the bug "now". Besides, as an octave user, if I find a bug that I want fixed I know I have two options: either report and wait until a volunteer fixes it or to fix it by myself. Complaining/demanding is kind of immoral here (and probably even counterproductive). Because I lack the expertise to fix this one, I can only wait, and add all the info that I consider might help to tackle the issue or derivations of it. That was my intention.

Additionally, I understand very well that the ultimate decision about bug-fixing priorities is up to the developers. First because they are the ones that know what is really going on in the guts of octave, and therefore can judge with more complete information. And second (and not less important), because they are volunteers (chapeau).

I hope I am better understood now: no complaint, no "demand", simply adding my thoughts to the report. Perhaps I could have been more clear in my mail about this, but I did not want to extend myself (as I did now).

All in all I am happy that the bug is reported, that somebody has an idea about what can be the cause, and hope that eventually it will be fixed, of course the sooner the better.

Kind regards, and thumbs up to the new release.
J.