Re: octave on development level

From: Werner Koenig
Subject: Re: octave on development level
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:45:10 +0200

On 29.09.2013 08:53, c. wrote:
On 29 Sep 2013, at 00:38, Werner Koenig<address@hidden>  wrote:

Hello list,

I want to install a parallel version of octave on development level
what do you mean exactly by "a parallel version"?

with parallel I mean, I have an octave version 3.6.3 on my system and I won't to overwrite it.
I want to have a development version of octave in /opt/octave
if you have, then for some reason it cannot be found at compile time.
What does the flex-related section in config.log say?
the config.log on my system is yet complete empty.
To test the flex installation, I write a little calc-program, which
can add and sub, I translate it with flex calc.l -> gcc -o calc lex.yy.c -lfl and the resulting prog calc works correctly. Therefor I think flex is installed correct and the path variable is also set correct, so why doesn't find my system
the flex, when I compiled octave.
What can I do, to get
an octave program at development level.
If you want to work "at development level" you should be prepared to identify
and fix such build issues, just dig into the code and try to see if you can find
the source of the error.

Ok, I want do it, but a little help from the list is welcome.
On my system there is a file oct-tex-lexer.in.ll and a file oct-tex-lexer.ll (I think generated) but no file oct-tex-lexer.cc (no wonder the flex isn't found at compile time)
Therefor for me there are two questions to answer
    - why doesn't find my system flex at compile time ( see above)
- why is it essential to find flex, it is only a warning before the compile breaks, therfor I think flex isn't essential to compile octave (at development level)

So long Werner