Re: Octave to C++ (standalone)

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave to C++ (standalone)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:26:01 -0400

On Mon, 2013-09-23 at 04:36 -0700, hexag0n0 wrote:
> I have an interface written in C/C++

In C or in C++? These are two different languages. You cannot compile
Octave code with a C compiler, since Octave itself is written in C++,
not in C. If you use the mex interface, you can use C, but as soon as
you do "#include <octave/oct.h>", you need a C++ compiler.

> and I want to run octave scripts inside it without octave
> installation.

This isn't easy. The thing is that if you're using Octave headers, you
basically also need all of Octave. We do not ship a separate runtime
that you could bundle with your program. You could try to statically
link everything, but in effect this amounts to distributing Octave
along with your binary. It would also be rather huge, since you also
need to ship all of Octave's dependencies. I believe the current
totality of things you would need is around 300 megabytes.

> Use an Octave to C compiler tool like that (I would like something
> similar -> Octave to C++ standalone):

No such working compiler exists. What you found is an old attempt to
make one, but it doesn't work anymore.

- Jordi G. H.