Re: problems installing openmpi_ext

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: problems installing openmpi_ext
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:24:07 +0200

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Francis Poulin <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Michael,

Thanks for the advice.   I tried your example for starters and the good news is that it ran.  The not so good news is that it doesn't seem to stop, at least not after 5 minutes.  What output do you get if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers, Francis

You should see a 100x3 block of random numbers, and a report of the size of the block. Then it may stop (usually does, in my experience), or it may just hang there (may happen more often for you, depends on many factors). If it hangs, it's because the nodes other than the frontend are still looping, sending information, but the frontend has stopped collecting it, because it has enough. I have still not worked out a good way to get the nodes to continue by default but also be receptive to stopping when told to do so. For my work, with similar but more complicated programs, this is not a problem, as the nodes run for a long time, and when they complete, I just CTRL-C to kill the program. For that reason I haven't worked to hard to solve the problem.
Cheers,
M.