Re: Cannot change gridlinestyle from solid gray. Tried 30+ Octave help w

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Cannot change gridlinestyle from solid gray. Tried 30+ Octave help webpages.
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 12:18:13 -0400

On Aug 23, 2013, at 9:56 PM, rmt1 wrote:

> Project: creating a topological map using contourf.
> Problem: When I use 'grid on' I get a grid of appropriate size that is solid
> gray lines.
>
> I am able to get lines of chosen width with
> set(get(gcf,'children'), 'linewidth', .2)
>
> I am not able to get chosen style with
> octave:165> set((get(gcf,'children')),'gridlinestyle','--')
> no matter if it's :, -, -., --
>
> I also haven't been able to change gridline colors.
>
> It has been solid gray lines no matter what change of settings I've made,
> but I want black dotted lines.

I assume you are using the gnuplot graphics_toolkit.  Gnuplot doesn't support
changing the linestyle for the grid.

If your Octave is version 3.6.x, then I recommend you use the FLTK graphics
toolkit.  Which supports changing the gridlinestyle.  The color for the grid
will always be black.

If you desire some other color, you'll need to draw it using line objects.

Ben