RE: Trivial Question

From: Damian Harty
Subject: RE: Trivial Question
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 07:56:04 +0000

warning: ft_render: skipping missing glyph for character '

Is it something known, is it likely to return? Who knows. If it does come back I will note what else is running at the time.

The warning means that the default font do not have a particular character.

That may happen if you e.g. switch you keyboard to non US layout and type something

that does look as ASCII while it is really not. E.g. try cut and paste:

plot (rand(3))
xlabel("СРТ Violation")

I kinda guessed it was looking for a character that wasn’t there, but wasn’t sure why that would go away without changing the code. It also wasn’t that clear to me to which character it was objecting, as it seemed to object to pretty much all of them while just displaying a single quote.

I pasted the text (after doing an octal dump to see that “CPT” was a six byte string I didn’t recognize at all, rendered by od –c as 320 241 320 240 320 242) and when I ran it from the command line Octave drew ??? in the command window and ??? on the plot. When I put it into a command file it just produced nothing on the plot.

At no stage did I get a “skipping missing glyph” message…

Damian

CONFIDENTIAL:

The information contained in this email communication is confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and destroy all copies of this communication, including all attachments.