Problem loading 16bit images using imread()

From: bmgamm
Subject: Problem loading 16bit images using imread()
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 13:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm having a problem loading 16-bit TIFFs using imread() with Octave 3.6.2
and image. The images are loaded but down-sampled to 8-bit. I reviewed the
forum postings related to this problem and them seem to focus on the issue
of compiling GraphicsMagick with Q16 rather then Q8. I'll admit that I don't
program in C++ and much of the conversation regarding compiling is over my
head. Nevertheless, I'm not sure I'm having the same problem. The warning
message presented to me was as follows:

/>> TestImage = imread('FileName.tif');
warning: your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 16 bits per pixel/

So, it seems like GraphicsMagick is compiled with the proper quantum depth,
though I don't know why I would receive this warning if I'm loading a 16-bit
image. Furthermore, when I run imfinfo('FileName.tif'), a 2x1 structure is
returned with the following fields. The first element is listed. If the
second element was different, it is shown in parentheses. I'm thinking that
the second element is a thumbnail embedded in the image and the first image
is the main file. However, the bit depth is listed as 16 bit for the main
image.

    /Filename = PATH\FileName.tif
    FileModDate =  5-Aug-2013 10:18:21
    FileSize =  16125377
    Height =  1330 (S2: 106)
    Width =  2000 (S2: 160)
    BitDepth =  16 (S2: 8)
    Format = TIFF
    LongFormat = Tagged Image File Format
    XResolution =  300
    YResolution =  300
    TotalColors =  37846 (S2: 2781)
    TileName =
    AnimationDelay = 0
    AnimationIterations = 0
    ByteOrder = undefined
    Gamma = 0
    Matte = 0
    ModulusDepth =  8
    Quality =  75
    QuantizeColors =  256
    ResolutionUnits = undefined
    ColorType = truecolor
    View = /

I would appreciate any suggestions someone might have on how to properly
load 16-bit images into Octave. Thank you.

Brian