Re: Getting Matlab geophysics code running in Octave

From: Lester Anderson
Subject: Re: Getting Matlab geophysics code running in Octave
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 17:29:24 +0100

Hi,

I found the defval.m code. From the functions I uploaded, it looks like all it was doing was defining the values of the constant variables, now wehether that is the issue why it was not running correct I do not know. But maybe the solution is more simple.

In the xample I uploaded, all the key things are available, so there are no other toolbox things required. Defval is clearly a Matlab intrinsic function. As I mentioned before, values for 'g' and 'G' can be declared normally without the need for the defval function.

If you can figure out how the plot was created, from those two functions, that would be a big help. If I ignored the defval in the code and replaced it as R=... or G=... etc, it sort of runs but not to generate the output as pected from the image result. Not having worked with Matlab before, I am still learning the procedures with Octave; I have come from a Fortran 95 background. Since a lot of geophysics code is in Matlab, I thought try Octave and see how it copes.

Hopefully I have not gone into the deep end !

Cheers
Lester

On 4 August 2013 17:11, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 4 Aug 2013, at 18:02, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:

> Checking mathworks help I can't find a function "defval" (though it
> may be due to my horrible connection and their heavy site). If you do
> not find the help of a defval function it means the person who created
> the package you want to use has it.

The first google result for "matlab defval" is:
http://mooring.ucsd.edu/software/matlab/doc/map/geosect/gui/tools/misc/check/defval.html

which looks like a geophysics code to me, probably that's the same package the OP is trying to use.

So if he has installed that toolbox and defval is not available its most likely an installation problem.

c.