Aw: Re: GPIB serial poll of an instrument

From: Stefan Mahr
Subject: Aw: Re: GPIB serial poll of an instrument
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 18:13:12 +0200 (CEST)

> That is a common misconception,
> For complex microwave setups, while the instrument is busy it will not
> respond to the command (specially old HP equipment)
> So if you have another instrument that finished a particular task requesting
> service (but you are unable to know this), basically the system will hang and
> you could lose data.
> The beauty of serial poll for complex setups is that you can just check with
> a single instruction whether something is done or not
> without having to go around instrument by instrument using their particular
> instruction for checking the status byte and risking hanging
> due to a timeout. Remember, you do not know how long it would take.... you
> could get a bad sample an it would be done in a few seconds
> or a good one and it will take some time depending what you need to measure.
>
> I am talking about old HP equipment... most newer Agilent uses SCPI... but
> still not all manufacturers use the SCPI format.
>
> This is coming from the old HP engineers who work on the original HPIB.... we
> have a few around.
>
> Matlab has the spoll function.. which is nice.
>
> So it is not so trivial...

I added a simple spoll to instrument-control. Please download the test version
from:
https://github.com/dac922/octave-instrument-control/archive/port2forge.tar.gz

and install from octave with:
pkg install /path/to/port2forge.tar.gz

--

a=gpib(20,11);
gpib_spoll(a)   % returns true if RQS bit is set and false if RQS is clear.

Stefan