Re: Aw: GPIB serial poll of an instrument

From: martine1212
Subject: Re: Aw: GPIB serial poll of an instrument
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 08:45:20 -0700 (PDT)

That is a common misconception,
For complex microwave setups, while the instrument is busy it will not respond
to the command (specially old HP equipment)
So if you have another instrument that finished a particular task requesting
service (but you are unable to know this), basically the system will hang and
you could lose data.
The beauty of serial poll for complex setups is that you can just check with a
single instruction whether something is done or not
without having to go around instrument by instrument using their particular
instruction for checking the status byte and risking hanging
due to a timeout. Remember, you do not know how long it would take.... you
could get a bad sample an it would be done in a few seconds
or a good one and it will take some time depending what you need to measure.

I am talking about old HP equipment... most newer Agilent uses SCPI... but
still not all manufacturers use the SCPI format.

This is coming from the old HP engineers who work on the original HPIB.... we
have a few around.

Matlab has the spoll function.. which is nice.

So it is not so trivial...

"Do not spend too much time in the lab, or you will get a one pack!!"
(Instead of a six pack abs!!)