Solving Complex Simultaneous Equations

From: JoshE87
Subject: Solving Complex Simultaneous Equations
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:43:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.  I'm very new to Octave and programming in general.  I'm working at a
company so I can't share EXACTLY the formulas I'm working on, but I will try
to make simple(r) analogues that carry the same weight and issues that I'm
facing.

Formula 1
x^2=sum(5*((2-y*ui)/(1+x*ui)))

Formula 2
y=1/z*sum((ui)/(1+x*ui))

Formula 3
z=1+ sum(ui/(1+x*ui))

first guess of x
x=(a*(sum(ui*5))^0.5)/2

How would I go about solving for x?
I'd imagine that I have to solve iteratively, specify how many times I want
it to try and make sure it knows what a good starting point is.  A good
number of times to loop the equation would be 1,000 or 10,000.

The problem is that I do not know the language to use in order to
successfully input this information.  While you're explaining it, please
speak to me as if I am totally ignorant of all programming knowledge.  As of
1 week ago I was.

Can anyone help?  I haven't found any methods close to what I am trying to
do in any tutorials.

Thanks so much in advance.  If you need any more information please let me
know.