problems getting GUI Octave to work properly

From: StefanSmith
Subject: problems getting GUI Octave to work properly
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:59:13 -0700 (PDT)

Octave people:

I recently installed Octave and GUI Octave on my home computer.  I have read
that the creators of GNU Octave have some kind of beef with the creators of
GNU Octave.  They claim something to the effect that the creators of GUI
Octave do not follow open source principles.  However, I would really like a
GUI for Octave, and GUI Octave seems to be the only one available (as of
June 16, 2013).

I am using GUI Octave now, and a lot of things seem to work, however:

(i) If I enter a multi-line command ending with "end", GUI Octave just
hangs;              and
(ii) I cannot figure out how to create, save and use function files and
script files.

There seems to be very little documentation available for GUI Octave.  There
are a couple of buttons that
are labeled "Forum" or "Help", and they take you to empty Web pages.  I
searched the Web and this forum, and couldn't find anything.