Re: warning message

From: c.
Subject: Re: warning message
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 17:49:12 +0200

On 14 Jun 2013, at 17:41, MARCELINO RODRIGUEZ <address@hidden> wrote:

> On an octave application I am programming I get the following warning message
> repeatedly: "warning:implicit conversion from matrix to sq_string."
>
> However, whatever the warning is for, the condition it points out does not
> seem to be affecting in any way the results or the print out of the
> application.
>
> I have the following questions:
>
> 1- What is this warning for?

it means exactly what it says: you passed a matrix as an input to a function
that expects a set of strins as input.
the function tried to convert the matrix to a string, but, as that is most
likely not what you intended to do, it
gave you a warning to let you now what happened.

> 2- What would be the consequense of simply disregarding it?

It depends on what your application does and where the incorrenct input was
passed.

> 3- If there are none, how can I eliminate this warning from my screen
> printouts?

you can turn off all warnings or one specific warning at a time, see the manual
section about the "warning"
command to find out how.

> 4- If there are some negative consequences, what should I do to correct the
> condition that the warning points out?

first I would try to find out where the warning comes from, for example by
doing:

  warning ("error")

so that the warning will be changed to an error, and Octave will sto and tell
you where it has occurred.

c.