Octave mode in Emacs

From: Matthew Reich
Subject: Octave mode in Emacs
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 17:10:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

A few questions about Octave mode in emacs

1.  Does XEmacs support Octave mode?

2. Attempting to enable Octave mode, I added the code listed in section H.1of
the GNU Octave manual to ~/.emacs.  That causes the following error message on
Emacs startup:
    Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
`/home/REICHM/.emacs'\:
    Symbol's value as variable is void: ’octave-mode

The following files are present:
   /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/progmodes/octave-inf.elc
   /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/progmodes/octave-mod.elc

How should the file locations and ~/.emacs be changed?

3. Where can I get octave-hlp.el (.elc)?

4. Emacs has (at least) one odd behavior; the Backspace key acts like C-h.  Any
suggestions?

Thank you,
M.Reich