Re: Installation error on Ubuntu 12.10 (x64) for Octave 3.6.2

From: cryingfist
Subject: Re: Installation error on Ubuntu 12.10 (x64) for Octave 3.6.2
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 06:07:44 -0700 (PDT)

Mike Miller-2 wrote
> No other output? Nothing like "GNU Octave, version 3.6.2" or "panic:
> Segmentation fault -- stopping myself..."?

No, just "segmentation fault (core dumped)"

Mike Miller-2 wrote
> Ok, can you try the following:
>
>   sudo apt-get purge libopenblas-base
>
> and try running octave again, does that change anything?

It actually worked! The terminal printed the standard octave output (GNU
Octave ... Octave was configured for "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"...and the octave
prompt).

Thanks so much for the help!

Just one last question: does the removal of libopenblas-base "endangers" the
proper functioning of other softwares depending on them (on my workstation
I'm thinking about the WRF-ARW weather model, mainly)?