Re: Installation error on Ubuntu 12.10 (x64) for Octave 3.6.2

From: lukshuntim
Subject: Re: Installation error on Ubuntu 12.10 (x64) for Octave 3.6.2
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 01:29:45 +0800

On Thursday, May 16, 2013 01:01 AM, cryingfist wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm not quite used to mailing lists: I directly answered to the
e-mail just because on the e-mail it told that the answer would be added to
the conversation, and I thought it would be the same.

About your questions (sorry, I really forgot to answer):

- There is no trace of Octave in PATH (it references to /opt/pgi,
/usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /bin,
/usr/games and /usr/local/games)

- which octave (since I've removed the error-generating package by "sudo
apt-get remove octave") returns nothing

- About the third party packages: sorry I'm not a real expert about what may
be in conflict with Octave's dependencies, but the only third party packages
installed come from Portland Group (C/C++/Fortran compiler) and Java has
been installed directly via software center. I don't know how to verify, but
I do not think third party PPAs have been added to the system.

Thanks again for your extensive help!

I think you mentioned "segmentation fault" with the graphical installation manager and something like "dpkg not working" using apt-get in your first posting. Did package installation work for you, if at all?

Try install this innocent hello package using both apt-get and graphical installation manager and see if it works.

Using apt-get:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install hello

Now remove (purge) it using

sudo apt-get purge hello

and try again with the graphical installation manager

Good luck,
ST