Re: use of xlsread in Octave

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: use of xlsread in Octave
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 21:51:18 +0200

Hi Jean Rene,

(help-octave mailing list added - this sort of help request is of general interest)

sorry for late reply, I was on holiday with my family. (Almost) no Internet so it was a real good holiday :-)

JR Cliche wrote:
Hello Philip,

I am using Octave 3.7.2+, and I am having problem with the function
xlsread.m.

I have the io package version 1.2.1. I ensure to do pkg load all at the
prompt.

When I use xlsread, I get:
"java_invoke is obsolete and will be removed from a future version of
Octave, please use javaMethod instead"

I suppose you use Michael Goffioul's 3.7.2+ MSVC binary.

1. What you see is just a warning, you can ignore that. You only see it once per Octave session.

2. A more profound issue is that the 3.7.2+ binary is really a developers snapshot, ordinary users do have to expect to run into problems and indeed - it seems you have.

3. As to developers snapshots, I'm a bit reluctant to provide much support for their general use. Those snapshots are only made for testing.
But OK I'll just give some hints below. Maybe others will help you further.

Java is built-in in that 3.7.2+ version. So that traditional stumbling block has been conquered - you don't need to install the java package. A next thing then is to hunt for the Java class libs required for spreadsheet I/O, and to add them to the javaclasspath. In the ./doc subdir of the io package you'll find adequate info on this. Just put all class libs together in some subdir (I usually use ./lib/java) and invoke chk_spreadsheet_support.m to add them to the javaclasspath.

In the windows-1.2.1 package there are two functions that need replacement. In another recent thread in (I believe) this help ML I gave some hints on what needs to be done to get the windows-1.2.1 package to run properly.

Philip

I looked at several forum but have not seen a fix to this problem. I
would greatly appreciate help so to use the function xlsread.

Best Regards,
Jean-Rene