Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 01:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

E4
Markus Bergholz wrote
> I haven't follow this thread and it's issue, but i've wrote a xlsxread
> function whitch don't need java.
> but it's very very rudimentary, works just with linux and is a quick&dirty
> write-down.
> furthermore, you have to remove the string-analyse part, if your sheet
> don't contain strings.
> but maybe it helps someone else or someone want to improve it or someone
> rewrite it in c/c++ as oct file, to get it even faster than matlab (for me
> it's still faster than the java stuff atm).
>
> http://git.osuv.de/Octave/tree/functions/xlsxread.m

The Java based options are relatively slow as they offer maximum flexibility
as regards data types.

Before venturing in COM/ActiveX and Java based solutions for the io pkg 4
years ago I've looked at a few other solutions, similar to yours. IIRC the
most promising one was posted in an OpenWatcom news group. All of them (i.e.
the "free solutions") suffered from the same limitations: lack of
flexibility, lack of documentation, dependency on some very specific
development framework, and/or bound to specific .xls formats (BIFF5, BIFF8,
OOXML, what not).

If you want I can look if your code can somehow be absorbed in the io pkg as
a sort of fall-back option.To that end it needs a suitable license and
someone should support/maintain it (my C/C++ skills are rudimentary).

Philip