Re: Installation of Octave on MacBook Pro under OS X Mountain Lion

From: Dushan Mitrovich
Subject: Re: Installation of Octave on MacBook Pro under OS X Mountain Lion
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:10:08 -0600

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Problem-with-Mac-OS-X-td4292095.html

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/2011-04-21%20binary%20of%20Octave%203.4.0/

>               I realise that the most probable cause of my problem is simple
> ignorance on my part but I hope someone can point me in the right
> direction.
>
>       Thanks,
>
>       Mick Farmer

It's probably because Octave is unsigned, and Mountain Lion's
Gatekeeper throws it out.

I had just gotten an iMac with Mountain Lion on it and tried to install
the muCommander 0.9 file manager.  It installed fine, but when I tried
to start it I got the same type of message: "muCommander.app is damaged
and should be moved to the Trash".

Some headscratching later I Googled for forums relating to muCommander
and saw lots of discussions about that exact problem.  It seems the
problem is related to Gatekeeper and how Java is implemented in ML.  A
temporary but not optimal solution is to go to System Preferences ->
Security and Privacy and allow installation of programs from Anywhere
(not just the App store).

That worked for me.  When selecting the 'Anywhere' option a message
pops up saying an unsigned program can bypass Gatekeeper (while having
it still generally active) by starting the program while holding down
the Control key.  I tried this once while starting muCommander from the
Dock, but it didn't help.  YMMV.

- Dushan