Re: problem with nonlin_min, undefined symbol

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: problem with nonlin_min, undefined symbol
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 18:22:51 -0400

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Cristiano Alessandro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having problems trying to run nonlin_min (package optim 1.2.2) from
> octave 3.7.2+ under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
> The program stops by throwing the following error:
>
> error:
> /home/xis/octave/struct-1.0.10/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-api-v48+/cell2fields.oct:
> failed to load:
> /home/xis/octave/struct-1.0.10/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-api-v48+/cell2fields.oct:
> undefined symbol: _ZN3MPI8Datatype4FreeEv
>
> Apparently this error is related to the hdf5 library as stated here
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=686926 .
> According to that website the problem should be solved by using libhdf5-dev
> (serial version, the de fault) instead of  libhdf5-openmpi-dev. This is my
> case, but the problem persists. Additionally, I cannot even pre-load the
> library (as suggested alternatively by the website) by running
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libmpi_cxx.so octave ... in this case octave returns
> ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libmpi_cxx.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
> preloaded: ignored.

Hi, when you started installing packages did you have
libhdf5-mpich-dev or libhdf5-openmpi-dev installed? It looks to me
like you have a locally installed struct package linked against one of
the MPI libraries that you have now possibly removed from your system.
Make sure you have libhdf5-serial-dev installed, remove all of your
locally installed Octave packages, and install them all again.

HTH,

--
mike