Re: Reading fortran namelist data into Octave

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Reading fortran namelist data into Octave
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 03:42:02 -0700 (PDT)

c.-2 wrote
> On 29 Mar 2013, at 23:29, Terry Duell <

> address@hidden

> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:28:32 +1100, c. <

> carlo.defalco@

> > wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Cool, they would be useful to at least one other user (me), so could you
>>> please post them here:
>>> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=octave
>>> so they don't get lost/forgotten?
>>
>> OK, as soon as I have tidied up the formality of ensuring that that the
>> original author releases them with a GPL license.
>
> Actually there is no need to ask for GPL licensing.
>
> If you found the files on FileExchange they are licensed
> under BSD which is already GPL compatible.
>
> The problem is that the file exchange website adds a
> very little known restriction that files downloaded from their
> website may only be used with TMW products.

What Matlab Central's (MLC's) T&C states (in 2.iii) is this:

"Content submitted to File Exchange may only be used with MathWorks
products."

which is semantically different than "...content *downloaded* from File
Exchange...".

I suppose it's rather this subtle difference that is very little known. As I
read it, the restriction is intended to be broader than just 'downloaded'.
Whether that can be legally enforced is obviously another isue (IANAL).

Perhaps the author could simply send a somewhat different version to Terry
than what is on MLC, to avoid MLC's restrictions.

Philip