Re: Installing JAVA for octave

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Installing JAVA for octave
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 13:16:26 -0800 (PST)

kees wrote
> On 03/03/2013 03:20 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>> kees wrote
>>> To use the "io package" I had to install Java aswell. I downloaded the
>>> package from the SourceForge.net and tried to install it like I did with
>>> all the other packages  " pkg install java-1.2.9.tar.gz. etc
>>>
>>> However, I received an error and I had to do something with
>>> "setenv("JAVA_HOME", "full/path/to /JavaJDK") and that is what I not
>>> really understand what I have to do here. I executed it and of course I
>>> used the correct path but it did not work. It appears that it has to be
>>> installed somewhere specific but I do not know where and how.
>>>
>>> So does anyone knows how to do this correctly?
>> What Octave version? what operating system & version (Linux distro /
>> Windows
>> XP/7/8 / ...)?
>>
>> Philip
> <snip>
> Hi Philip,
>
> I am using Linux Fedora 17
> GNU Octave 3.6.3
> I am trying to install : Java-1.2.9

Try to find where your JDK has been installed.

Might be in /usr/lib/jvm, in my system (Mageia 2, also rpm based) it is
there but only after following a chain of symlinks I could find the
location.

If you have a 64-bit system, chances are that you must symlink
<JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/<arch>/server/libjvm.so from
<JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/<arch>/client/libjvm.so  (another gotcha; I should enter
that on the wiki one of these days). <arch>  = something like i386, x86_64,
whatever

Try (from a (bash?) shell prompt)
which javac
>From the answer you might deduce the proper JAVA_HOME setting (possibly
after following a long chain of symlinks). It is the location of the "real"
javac, minus trailing /bin/

Philip