Re: Problem with "NA"

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Re: Problem with "NA"
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:37:10 +1100

Hello Stephen,

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:56:03 +1100, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

I think that a much more likely source of creating NA is in evaluating
the right hand side function.  That is, you are solving:

dx/dt = f(t,x)

I am guessing that f(t,x) is something rather horrible.

Look for things like taking square roots of negative numbers when you
compute f(t,x).  Or maybe you diagonalize a matrix, and it has repeated
eigenvalues, and you use the eigenvectors (which will be non-unique or
non-spanning).  Or some other operation of that type.

Nothing like any of that. Just plain old equations of motion f=ma, where the f's are forces due to tyre spring, suspension spring, damper velocity etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I also find it useful to think about the situation physically.  For
example, if the trailer is directly behind the vehicle rather than at an
angle, maybe some force is trying to pull them apart, and since there is
no angle you are essentially trying to break the hinge.  Or maybe the
wheels on the axle are locked to each other, and at least one of the
wheels has to skid.

Nothing like that to think about either, it is pitch plane ride dynamics simulation, wheels are point followers, so only looking at vertical excitation resulting in heave and pitch of sprung masses.

I am slowly getting there as a result of finding a couple of simple errors, now get every time step calculated sensibly for the trailer motions, and all but the last 6 time steps appear OK for the prime mover.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,
--
Regards,