Email footer legalese

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Email footer legalese
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:58:36 -0500

On 17 January 2013 10:39, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2013, at 10:26 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> On 16 January 2013 22:17, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> If it is legally safe to just ignore the footer then I have no
>>> problem accepting that as policy for the list.
>>
>> If the footers are meaningless in the US, then why are US companies adding
>> them?
>
> That's a good question. I have no idea. Maybe they think we're all
> mindless drones and will accept their terms without question?

Well, the Economist seems to believe that it's just an annoying meme:

    http://www.economist.com/node/18529895

A similar opinion on UK law, just regarding the confidentiality
notices. They seem to be pointless:

    http://www.out-law.com/page-5536

As long as that's what it is, I will also ignore them and respond to
people on the mailing list who send them, but after I do that, I will
continue to complain when people keep sending that fluff to the
mailing list.

- Jordi G. H.