Re: Woctave-another gui front end

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 19:04:42 +0100

On 12/20/2012 2:36 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

help integrate -->  'integrate not found'.
help quad --> Numerically evaluate the integral...

how would a user intuitively know the name of one numerical integration
function is quad... he wouldn't. now, the 'see also, at the bottom of
many helps is immeasurably useful. it provides visual cues in a parallel
format for further exploration. user knowledge of how to overcome the
initial CLI progress barrier can't be assumed since the DOS prompt
disappeared under XP.  how do you get them started...

Nick,
I suggest to start reading the manual, as it is very helpful

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/index.html
chapter 23

Alright, guess it's time to get to work now.

Nick J.

About work, I hate any time MS modify the
Excel/Word/PowerPoint interfaces;
every 3 years I need to re-learn where the menu items
where moved. And the help is not very good to find them....

Any visual interface has some un-explained conventions;
until I read the manual I had no clue that double-clik
the only button has a specific usage on IPhone.
Everything is easy for the people that already know.

Marco