Re: Support

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Support
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:30:20 -0500

On 29 November 2012 20:58,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> My name is Javier Silva and I am currently studying a PhD in optics
> at INAOE Puebla, Mexico. And I am writing to ask for your support.

Quihúbole, Javier.

> At this moment, I am simulating diffraction patterns through method
> known as "split step fourier method" from a binary mask, and I am
> using a lot of the libraries fft and plot of OCTAVE.

Octave isn't an acronym. There's no need to shout it:

    http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Why_.22Octave.22.3F

> Would I like know if you can help me, how can I see the sources code
> of OCTAVE library fft and plot?

The plot function is written in an m-file. If you type "which plot",
you'll see where this m-file is. However, this is just the tip of the
iceberg. The plot m-file in turn calls many other functions to do its
work, and it can be tricky to find your way around the code. If you
have a more specific question about how plot works, please ask.

For fft, Octave should use the FFTW library, unless you compiled
Octave yourself and the library wasn't available at compile time, in
which case it will use FFTPACK. If you want to see how FFTW is called,
most of the interesting work on the Octave side is found here:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/ddc651eecf7a/liboctave/oct-fftw.cc

Hope this helps,
- Jordi G. H.