Re: testing octave-instrument-control-toolbox, looking for a workaround

From: Hugo Coolens
Subject: Re: testing octave-instrument-control-toolbox, looking for a workaround for "sorry, printing char matrices not implemented yet"
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 21:32:54 +0100

2012/11/29 Stefan Mahr <address@hidden>

Hugo Coolens wrote:
> I'm trying out the octave-instrument-control-toolbox. I guess it
> installed fine, but as you can see below, running the sample program
> pops up a "sorry, printing char matrices not implemented yet", is
> there a workaround for this in Octave 3.2.4 or how should the code be
> adapted to get the text identification string which is (hopefully)
> sent back?
>
> thanks
> hugo
>

> octave:10> readbytes = 10000;
> octave:11> fd = usbtmc_open("/dev/usbtmc1")
> fd =  4
> octave:12> usbtmc_write(fd,"*IDN?");
> octave:13> result = usbtmc_read(fd,readbytes)
> result =
>
> sorry, printing char matrices not implemented yet
>

> octave:14> usbtmc_close(fd);

I have answered Hugo already, but I forgot to include the mailing list.

For the actual master branch at github use
   result = char(usbtmc_read(fd,readbytes))
to get the text string.

Meanwhile I ported usbtmc to be included to OF instrument control within
the port2forge branch. The syntax will change a little bit, but you
still have to use char(usbtmc_read(obj,readbytes)) to get the result as
a string.

BR,
Stefan
I finally got the first answer string coming back from my Keithley. Thank you very much Stefan for all your patience and the
help offered

Hugo