Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:25:31 +0100

Am 22.11.2012 17:01, schrieb Francesco Potortì:
> Well, this is done using functions, it is not a feature of the
> language itself. It definitely makes sense to speak of the Matlab
> indexing notation, which is a more powerful evolution of the S
> notation and, in my opinion, is the killing feature of Matlab/Octave
> (and apparently of Julia).
Python has partially the concise syntax you are looking for
A[A>0] += 128
A[1:98:2]
is perfectly valid for numpy arrays, for something like

1:2:97 98 99

I see no syntactic sugar only something like range(1,98,2) + [98, 99], while
easier subscripting can be done with the colon syntax of course.
As I am not the perfect numpy/scipy coder maybe someone knows better and I am
wrong here.

Btw I am someone who likes having domain specific languages and not one general
purpose language to rule them all, that is my reason to use environments like
octave, scilab, maxima, they just feel more natural, but that is a very
personal point of view of course.