Re: Static storage of huge sparce matrices

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Static storage of huge sparce matrices
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:48:42 -0400

On 2 November 2012 15:41, Joza <address@hidden> wrote:
> Actually, would Octave automatically recognize my matrix is sparse and store
> it that way!!?? Is such storage done automatically?

Yes, in CCS format, that's what the sparse() function does.

Your matrix will be inverted using a Cholesky factorisation, but if
you want to do it in slow motion yourself for pedagogical purposes,
you can do "chol" to see what the intermediate factorisation looks
like, and most importantly, how it preserves the sparsity.

- Jordi G. H.