Re: OSX 10.8.2 build from source "fork" problem

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: OSX 10.8.2 build from source "fork" problem
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 09:36:52 -0400

On Oct 20, 2012, at 9:17 AM, kuniggety wrote:

> I installed Octave via macports do take care of any dependencies.
>
> I then got the most current source via Hg and proceeded into the build
> process.
> hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
>
> I got qt4-mac from macports. I manually downloaded and installed the latest
> versions of qscintilla, Gfortran, sed, bison, gawk, and readline. I used the
> hacks here:
> https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2012-March/050811.html to
> get readline to work. I want to say that I had to find a hack for qscintilla
> too but I don't have it anymore. I also manually downloaded and installed
> the latest SuiteSparse which now had a handy dandy installer for Macs. I
> used the hack here:
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/SuiteSparse-problems-td4631934.html to
> get Octave to read SuiteSparse. I think that covers everything that I
> installed.
>
> I was able to successfully perform:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared
> make
> With no warnings or errors.
>
> However, as soon as I run make check or ./run-octave I get:
> The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality
> safely. You MUST exec().
> Break on
> __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__()
> to debug.
>
> If I use --no-gui, then everything works fine. However, the point of me
> doing all of this manual installation was to use the GUI. I've spent all day
> getting to this point and I've finally gotten to a point that my Google Fu
> has failed me.

Since we merged the gui into Octave's autotools build system the gui no longer
runs on MacOS X.

My understanding is that Qt will only work if the main() thread is a Qt app.
I'm not sure if that is correct as gnuplot's Qt terminal works well for me.
I've been thinking of asking the gnuplot developers, but haven't gotten around
to it.

Ben