eval_string() throws error: `pi' undefined

From: eskape
Subject: eval_string() throws error: `pi' undefined
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 23:31:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hey community,

I am new to this forum and also use octave for not to long.

I have the following problem:
I have a c++ methods using octave with eval_string() for simple expressions
like "A=3*pi+4' or "B=3*A+5". If I call them from a pure c++ program
everything works fine.
But (for project requirements) I have to call c++ from Fortran. And if I do
so, octave fails to handle everything beyond "A=5". Neither '+' nor 'pi' can
be handled.
The error message I get for eval_string("Lx=2*pi",false, ref1) is:
error: `pi' undefined near line 0 column 5

The other c++ methods not involving octave are working fine, when called
from Fortran.

Has anybody an idea, what the problem could be?
I would really like to stay with octave.
thanks