Re: Octave and cargo cult programmingHello

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Octave and cargo cult programmingHello
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:08:29 -0400

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
So, because the warning does not tell me what the line number, but error luckily does, I rely fundamentally everywhere on this error.

Oh, I didn't realize that was another difference between warning and error. I have also spent a lot of time chasing down where warnings are coming from and was frustrated that I couldn't get line numbers. I agree that tracing warnings to source is quite frustrating and cumbersome (I was recently tracing a non-broadcasting warning--next time I'll have to try to convert the warning to an error--that's actually another annoying thing: given the warning message, how to find the corresponding id string). It would be nice if warnings at least indicated the current function name and line number (not necessarily the entire stack trace that you get from error).

--judd