Re: Octave-3.4.0.dmg + XQuartz = broken Octave & Matlab

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Octave-3.4.0.dmg + XQuartz = broken Octave & Matlab
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 07:10:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 9/9/12, Miriam Heller <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Miriam Heller <address@hidden>
To: "Sergei Steshenko" <address@hidden>
Cc: "help-octave Octave" <address@hidden>
Date: Sunday, September 9, 2012, 6:50 AM

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

--- On Sat, 9/8/12, Miriam Heller <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Miriam Heller <address@hidden>

To: "Alexander Hansen" <address@hidden>

Cc: "help-octave Octave" <address@hidden>

Date: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 9:58 PM

[snip]

Also, what is my "home folder."

[snip]

Miriam

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=unix+home+directory ->
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_directory .

Regards,

  Sergei.

Thanks, Sergei. I went there and if I could find fink-0.9.0-full.tar.gz, I
wouldn't know where to put it in the file structure:

MiriamHeller
Avatar's World.mm

Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Dropbox
Movies
Music
Pictures
Public
Sites
temp
venple.err
venread.err

Hmmm. What are these .err files?

Isn't there a:

Install Xcode 4.xx for dummies?

Install Octave for dummies?
Install gnuplot for dummies?

Where the user can actually follow the step by step procedures that are 100%
linear where all the directories are 100% specified and, if there are patches,
the user is told exactly where to input (type them), e.g., into a terminal
window or a file and if a file, where to find that file?

Thanks, Serg

I am not a Mac guy (neither owned it nor used it), though I am very much a
UNIX/Linux guy.

So, I can't answer your Mac-specific questions - my intent was to give you
pointers on home directory.

OTOH, since Mac is a UNIX machine, so if in a terminal window you type a
command like this (I'm giving you a Linux version - try 'man find' in your
terminal window first) :

find / -name whatever_file_you_are_looking_for -follow -print

, you'll eventually find the file you are looking for with its full path.

Regards,
  Sergei.

P.S. I think you should get accustomed to working with command line. I guess
there are guides on it for Mac users too.