Re: plotting functions not working

From: JonathanF
Subject: Re: plotting functions not working
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 18:16:45 -0700 (PDT)

$ gnuplot
gnuplot> set term x11
Terminal type set to 'x11'
Options are ' nopersist'
gnuplot> plot sin(x)

>This opens a window titled Gnuplot and plots a sine wave

gnuplot> set term aqua
Terminal type set to 'aqua'
Options are '0 title "Figure 0" size 846,594 font "Times-Roman,14"
noenhanced solid'
gnuplot> plot sin(x)

>This makes gnuplot hang

gnuplot> quit

I assume you installed the Octave application bundle from SourceForge?  That
bundle is problematic.  The simple solution is to install Octave using Fink,
MacPorts, or Homebrew.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X

If you really want to use the application bundle form sourceforge,  you'll
need to be sure that your gnuplot and aquaterm are compatible, and that
Octave sees the correct gnuplot.

>From the Octave prompt, type ...

        system ("which gnuplot")

... and tell us what it returns.

>/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot

If it finds a gnuplot, try running gnuplot from Octave.

        setenv GNUTERM aqua
        [status, output] = system ('gnuplot -e "plot sin(x)" --persist')

>This command makes octave hang

Next try x11 ...

        setenv GNUTERM x11
        [status, output] = system ('gnuplot -e "plot sin(x)" --persist')
        status = 0
        output =

... and tell us what "status" and "output" return.

Here this works.  status = 0
                        output =

and a window is opened titled Gnuplot and plots a sine wave

So it seems like X11 is working but AquaTerm is not.  Should I go back and
re-install Octave using Fink, etc. or is there a way to fix my current
setup?

Thanks!