Re: octave 3.6.2 build error: invalid preprocessing directive #!

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: octave 3.6.2 build error: invalid preprocessing directive #!
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:06:34 +0100

On 16/08/2012 16:51, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 16 August 2012 11:35, Richard Crozier<address@hidden>  wrote:
I'm trying to build the octave 3.6.2 sources but compilation has stopped
with the output below. Could anyone suggest a fix?

In file included from oct-rand.cc:27:
/usr/bin/map:1:2: error: invalid preprocessing directive #!
What is this "/usr/bin/map" thing?

Looks like your build is somehow trying to compile an m-file or Perl
file as if it were a C++ source file. How did this happen? How did you
start the build?

- Jordi G. H.

well I just downloaded the sources and extracted them to the directory shown at the bottom of the output, I then ran ./configure and make as normal.

There are some unusual circumstances which may or may not be related.

I am building on a work PC which I do not have root access on. This is on a network which is configured in such a way as I can access the same home directory from many machines, I don't know the ins and outs of how this works. The same directory is also accessible from Windows machine via some dark arts

I was planning to install in a local directory since I won't be able to put anything in the normal directories, I have already installed SuiteSparse this way and configure seemed to find it ok.

If I examine the /usr/bin/map thing the top states the following, and I think it is a Perl script:

bash-4.1$ cat /usr/bin/map
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

eval 'exec /usr/bin/perl -w -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
    if 0; # not running under some shell
#$Id: map,v 1.20 1998/02/11 23:58:27 schwartz Exp $
#
# map - convert a text file to a different character set
#
# See also usage() of this file. General information at:
#    http://wwwwbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~schwartz/pmh/index.html
#
# Copyright (C) 1998 Martin Schwartz. All rights reserved.
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.
#
# Contact: Martin Schwartz <address@hidden>
#

Some other info that might be useful?

bash-4.1$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.4.6 20110731 (Red Hat 4.4.6-3)

bash-4.1$ cat /etc/issue
Scientific Linux release 6.2 (Carbon)
Kernel \r on an \m

bash-4.1$ uname -r
2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.x86_64

I could sent the full compiler output possibly if you want.

Thanks,

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.