Re: How to install all toolboxes with one command?

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: How to install all toolboxes with one command?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:49:24 +0200

>octave3.2 is already the newest version.
>octave3.2-common is already the newest version.
>octave3.2-common set to manually installed.

Okay, so you already have Octave installed.  No problem.

>Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>or been moved out of Incoming.
>The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> octave-msh : Depends: gmsh (>= 1.6.5) but it is not going to be installed
>E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

No problem here either, unless you want to use especially that package.

>Should I un-install octave and try everything from the start?

Maybe, but let's see.

>This is what I had before
>
>ctave:1> ver
>GNU Octave Version 3.2.4
>GNU Octave License: GNU General Public License
>Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:41:14
>UTC 2012 i686
>Package Name    | Version | Installation directory
>----------------+---------+-----------------------
>communications *|  1.0.10 |
>/usr/share/octave/packages/3.2/communications-1.0.10
>octave:2>

Hm.  Maybe you have a mix of different Octave versions.  Maybe the
easiest is this: unistall everything beginning with octave, then
install these packages:

octave3.2
octave3.2-info
octave-communications
octave-general
octave-gsl
octave-image
octave-miscellaneous
octave-optim
octave-signal
octave-specfun
octave-statistics

This is not the whole octave-forge, but only the more generally useful
packages that I know of.  From here, you can install additional
octave-forge packages you may need, one at a time.

This is the quickest, but if you want the latest one (3.6.2) it will
involve more work.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107