Re: FFT - Spectrum Analyzer

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: FFT - Spectrum Analyzer
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:58:15 +0200

>> > Why would one perform a Fourier-based analysis on something so clearly
>> > non-stationary as music? I think wavelets are the tool of choice.

To know what are the spectral components in different moments.

>> There is short time FFT. FFT with buffer 0.1 second buffer length is
>> often quite usable and still has 10Hz frequency resolution (more or less).
>
>...but Fourier is predicated on the whole signal having the
>characteristics of the observed portion. One can perform short duration
>transforms, I agree - but this is typically done for ensemble averaging
>purposes, such as Welch's method.

Only if yu are interested in the characteristics of the whole signal.
Not if you are interested in seeing as those vary with time.

>Let me ask it another way: what question is answered by performing any
>kind of Fourier analysis on music?

The same that you answer by looking at a real-time spectrogram such as
found on mixers, for example.  Or any spectrum analyser.

>Or perhaps yet another way: Could you compare Shakespeare and Proust
>using Fourier-based methods on the spoken word?

Maybe.  We'd need a computational linguist to answer this.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107