Re: Problem installing packages

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Problem installing packages
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 15:27:14 -0400

On 28 May 2012 15:13, Rich Mack <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't think Jordi was advocating anything, but only explaining what works
> and what doesn't work.  pkg install at the Octave CLI doesn't work.  Apt-get
> install octave-packagename works.

I am advocating using Debian packages for another reason: they're
prepared for working with the corresponding Octave version in Debian.
The packages in OF may move ahead and no longer work with whatever
Octave version is in Debian, but the Debian packagers have worked
*fvery hard*[1] on packaging corresponding versions.

- Jordi G. H.

[1] For a sample of the work that goes into producing the packages,
you can read the Debian Octave Group's mailing list:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-octave-devel/2012-April/date.html