Re: problem with placing legend with GNUplot

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: problem with placing legend with GNUplot
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 11:09:45 -0400

On May 5, 2012, at 7:50 AM, Karel Karlovič wrote:

> 2012/5/4 Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
>
>> On May 4, 2012, at 12:38 AM, kovarka4 wrote:
>>
>> > Wonderful!
>> >
>> > I'm using fltk, but I want to use gnuplot.
>> >
>> > close all
>> > graphics_toolkit gnuplot  work for one time. But when I close octave and
>> > open it again, there is again "fltk". Is there some possibility to change
>> > graphics_toolkit to gnuplot permanently?
>> >
>> > And I have some other problem. I'm using non-english symbols like á é í
>> > etc.
>> > Is there some possibility to use UTF-8?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>>
>> To change the default, edit your ~/.octaverc file and change the line ...
>>
>>        graphics_toolkit fltk

>>        graphics_toolkit gnuplot
>>
>> Regarding the non-english symbols, I tried ...
>>
>>        text (0.5, 0.5, 'á é í')
>>
>> and the resulted rendered as desired. If it does not for you, the problem is
>> with gnuplot and its fonts.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Yes, it works with the legend!
> Problem  with fonts is solved (maybe with using gnuplot?).
>

> But, when I make legend with
>
> legend(labels, "location", 'northeastoutside')
> legend("right")
> then color lines are still inside the box with graph. See pict1.png.
>
> When I make
>
> legend(labels, "location", 'northeastoutside') % not legend("right")
>
> color lines are outside, but text is on the border of graph. See pict2.png.
>
> Do you know how to get legend with lines alltogether outside of the box with
> graph?
>
> Thanks!

If you can produce a simple example so that I (or someone else) can duplicate
what you're seeing, then we can file a bug report and provide a work around for
you.

Running the developers sources for Octave 3.6.x,  and with either the gnuplot
and fltk graphics toolkits, the following works for me (the legend and plot box
do not overlap)

        clf
        plot(1:10, 1:10);
        title("a very long label can sometimes cause problems");
        legend({"hello world"}, "location", "northeastoutside");

If I add ...

        legend right

There is still no overlap between the legend and plot box.

Ben