Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange

From: Muhali
Subject: Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 15:13:36 -0700 (PDT)

> How did you obtain this code? This is what matters. Don't think about
> this as source code. Legal langauge is not fed to compiler and
> interpreters, but to ambiguous and subjective judges, juries, and
> lawyers. What matters is not just the BSD license, but the additional
> terms that the Mathworks added.

suppose I have googled the code and clicked on whatever came first (I
didn't). So because ML has usually the highest rank that may have been them.
But if identical and more original code is floating around somewhere (at a
lower Google rank) I may as well have gotten it from there. I'd be very
*surprised* if it mattered where I downloaded the code from.

> If you obtained the code from the Mathworks, they impose additional
> restrictions on you. They say, "if you get the code from us, you can
> only use it this way".

no! That mentioned clause - it is actually modified and reads now

"Content submitted to File Exchange may only be used with MathWorks
products."

means if it simply *is* on their site I cannot use it anywhere else. That is
what really bothers me. (And less strict interpretations would imply that it
does matter where I got the code from). The very fact that ML changed that
clause means that they are brooding over it as well.

M.