Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04

From: mesuron
Subject: Re: Installing packages in octave on Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 09:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi,
Thanks for prompt respond.

Thanks for the command line with elevation Octave application, or installer,
to admin privileges. Thanks, but I hardly could say I like it. I will
remember how to do it just for 5 -10 minutes. I have no time to learn
command script and its architecture to manipulate operating system. BTW,
SUDO is a disaster.
1. I love QT Octave! And even it has been abandoned, I would use it no
matter what for scrip development and testing. Even though installation
manager isn't working correctly I still use it to choose necessary packages.
Manager downloads all of them to TMP directory and unpack all of them as
well. Then it is just one line in terminal to copy all of them where it's
needed. I would appreciate if Ubuntu team will implement simple mouse
copy-paste procedure and asking password if user copies files to the
restricted area.
2. To whoever did QT Octave environment I am giving my deep respect and
many, many thanks! If Octave team will take it to maintain and improve it,
it will be exactly what REAL Octave user like me needed. QT environment is
no doubts the best idea ever visited a person who really cared about people
who is working on Octave. I mean it, and dozens friends of mine who is
working on Matlab now started to pay attention to Octave when I informed
them about QT environment.  You gays cannot ignore it, you guys have to take
it in serious consideration.
3. There are no Forge packages in "Ubuntu Software Center" in 12.04 LTS even
in freshly installed OS. Would be really nice if it would be included AGAIN.
I need to address it to Ubuntu team probably, include improvement copy-paste
procedure. Or I need to convince Octave team to get QT environment under
control and take care of it as of Octave itself.

Thanks again for the help and for free Octave and for free Forge packages.
Alexander