Installing on OSX i386: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple a

From: Joel Nothman
Subject: Installing on OSX i386: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:49:26 +1000

Hi,

An Octave-help thread in November was titled 'Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can in a 64-bit one'.

It presented an issue where the 'invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment' error occurred where it should not.

For example:
x = [];
x(1).a1 = 1;
x(2).a1 = 2;
x(1).a2 = 3;
error: ...

It was resolved for Fink's octave-3.6.1.info by using CXXFLAGS=-O0 when compiling Octave 3.4.3 on OS X 10.5 (32 bit).

I am experiencing the same problem in Octave 3.4.3 and 3.6.1, but I am attempting to use Homebrew rather than Fink.

I have tried adding
  ENV['CXXFLAGS'] = '-O0' if !ENV.m64
prior to system calls to configure and make (at https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/octave.rb:73).

This results in:

configure: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to make integers the same size as octave_idx_type (int). See the file INSTALL for more information.

I can't find any relevant information in INSTALL (but will admit I've not read its every word).

Could you please help me getting this compiled and operating correctly?

Thanks,

- Joel