Re: make check gives 258 errors

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: make check gives 258 errors
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:20:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 4/13/12, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: make check gives 258 errors
> To: "Muhali" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Friday, April 13, 2012, 5:48 PM
> On 13 April 2012 18:18, Muhali <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > I have noticed that I get 258 errors from 'make check'
> with the current tip,
> > as compared to 2 errors from a few weeks ago.
>
> Discussions of the development branch really belong on the
> development list.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

No, Jordi, it's quite OK that such topics are discussed in this end users list.

It's good to know for end users the peculiarities of Octave (kindergarten)
development model.

First and foremost, I don't think commits which increase number of errors in
'make check' should be made in the first place.

If they really need to be made - for example, changes in Octave proper need to
be made which break the test suite, and the test suite is to be fixed later,
the breaking commits should be accompanied with prominent comments (better also
put into README file), so there will be no need to start such threads in the
first place.

There is a good methodology called "test driven development".

Regards,
  Sergei.