octave application to experimental spectra

From: Bryan Lepore
Subject: octave application to experimental spectra
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:48:49 -0400

I need to know if octave will do the following, before I work out exactly how:

I am interested in the singular value decomposition of a large number
of experimental recordings of spectra - essentially x/y data, where y
changes but x is the same for each y.

Will octave do this if I figure out how to [1] load one spectrum per
row in a matrix, and then [2] run svd as in the manual?

-Bryan